We had a family gathering at our house this weekend for the fourth. It was a super busy day, starting out with a children's parade and neighborhood party, complete with bounce houses, water slides and fishing and wegrilled a huge meal. We then ended the day with the city firework show.
Homemade ice cream was on the menu for our dessert, but by the time we needed to get the ice cream going, we were too pooped to go to the trouble. Luckily, I had already bought the ingredients for this dump cake last month, and just hadn't gotten around to making it. I even had vanilla ice cream on hand for something I'm doing with the kids this week.
I make a cherry dump cake all the time, and it's delicious too, but I think I like the blueberry version best. (The cherry version is made the same way, but with cherry pie filling instead of blueberry.)
Are these picture making you drool just a little? I won't keep you in suspense any longer... Here is the recipe:
Blueberry Dump Cake
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 21 oz can of blueberry pie filling
- 1 large can of crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 1 stick of butter
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spread the can of blueberry pie filling at the bottom of a 9.5 x 13 cake pan/pyrex dish (or similar size-but no bigger.)
- Spread crushed pineapple over pie filling and top with shredded coconut and 3/4 of the fresh blueberries.
- Evenly sprinkle the dry cake mix over the top of the fruit.
- Melt 3/4 of the butter stick and drizzle over the cake mix.
- Thinly slice the rest of the butter stick and randomly place the sliced butter pieces on any dry cake mix still showing.
- Sprinkle the rest of the fresh blueberries on top of the cake mix.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the cake topping is golden brown.