Sunday, January 11, 2015

DIY Painted Wine Glasses

DIY handpainted wine glasses for inexpensive christmas gift!
I owe you guys a huge apology.
I’ve been on hiatus for way too long.
If I tell you I had finals that would determine whether I got an A or  a B in the class will you forgive me?
No?
DSC02273
What if I show you how to make these?
“Yes Sara, we love you and forgive you.”
I’m glad we worked this out.
I made these for my mom’s Christmas present and I am now in love.  There’s a good chance many people will be getting these for their birthday/Valentine’s Day/Christmas next year.
Because aren’t they cute?!
photo (3)
First, begin with some glass.  You can paint whatever kind of glass you like.  I know my mom likes wine.  Therefore, wine glasses.  I got these from Kohl’s on sale.  You will probably want some decent glass so they don’t scratch or get foggy easily.  But it’s up to you.  Mine are Sonoma brand and I got them 50% off for $10.  Score!
photo (6)
This step is important!  Using rubbing alcohol, wipe down the surface you will be painting very well.  Notice all that dirt that came off of my brand new wine glasses?  Gross.  You don’t want paint chipping off because of that shit.
photo (5)
Mix your paint, or buy the colors you want.  I used Martha Stewart glass paint in gloss.  You definitely don’t want to get cheapy on this part, since the paint is what’s making the glass special.  The paint is about $3/bottle but if you have a coupon, it’s way cheaper!  I just got blue, red, yellow, and white and mixed all of the colors I wanted together.  (No I did not use that weird dark blueish green color up there.  It actually looked prettier in person though).
Now it’s time to paint!  I used Q tips and dotted colors all over my wine glasses.  Including on the bottoms of the wine glasses.  It looks cool from inside :)
Now focus on this next part because it is vital to keep your glass from exploding when curing it!
First, place your glass on a baking sheet.
Set it in a cold oven.
Turn on the oven to 350*.  When it’s preheated, set the timer for 30 minutes.
When your timer rings, turn off the oven and do not open the oven or they could explode and you would be very, very sad.  Okay?!
Let the oven cool completely.  I made these late at night so I just left them in the oven overnight.
Take them out and let them sit for 72 hours before using them.
Alternatively, you can let them air cure for 21 days.  But who wants to wait that long?
DSC02276
Also, I’d like to point out how pretty and summery they look.  Which is quite the coincidence since it’s snowing outside right now.
But they will be so nice by the pool in July, don’t you think?
DSC02280
Here they are on a white surface so you can see them easier.
I can’t wait to give these to my mom because I know she’s going to love them!
Another bonus is that they only took about 1 hour of actual work (i.e. painting them).  So you really don’t have any excuses to not make them, right? (; Take an hour to make them.  Pair them with a bottle of wine and giftee will love you even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment