Sunday, January 11, 2015

$10 Wooden Blanket Ladder

Hey guys!  We are so excited to kick-off the first day of the 12 Days of Christmas!  To keep up with our latest projects follow us on Instagram!
Our first post is a super easy and inexpensive Blanket Ladder.  I love making my home feel comfortable but chic ;) for the holidays, whether it be for my own family or our guests!  I’ve seen a lot of ladders for blankets in the past but, I wanted a specific “shanty” look!  My favorite part of this ladder is the 2×6’s!  They give it a solid, chunky look!
DIY-Wooden-Blanket-LadderI’m totally in love with it :)  It was so easy to build and only cost me about $10!!!
I will give you guys a full tutorial here, and you can also download and print the FREE PLANS by clicking the button below!
Blanket Ladder Free Plans
Here’s how I did it!
measurementsI purchased 2 – 2×4’s @ 8′ and 1 2×6 @8′.  I cut 2 2×4’s @ 5ft. long and 4 2×6 @ 17″ long.  I just made up my own measurements and I love how big and chunky the ladder is!
Kreg-JigNext, I used my Kreg Jig to drill 1 1/2″ pocket holes into the ends of each 2×6.  If you do not own a Kreg Jig, you can pre drill from the sides of the 2×4’s into the 2×6’s and follow up with 2 1/2″ wood screws.
Pocket-HolesYou can see that I circled where I drilled my Kreg pocket holes.
space-boards-12-inches-apartI set the 2×6 boards so that the front corner touched the front of the 2×4 and the back corner of the 2×6 touched the back of the 2×4.  I placed the top 3″ from the top of the 2×4 and spaced the others 12″ apart from each other.  I measured from the front corner of each 2×6.
attach-with-pocket-hole-screwsMake sure your Kreg pocket holes are facing the back.  I used 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws to attach the 2×6 boards.
Next, just attach the other 2×4 to the other side of the 2×6’s the same way.
Rustoleum_Dark_WalnutTo finish this cutie off, I used applied one-coat of Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut with a foam brush.  Wait about 5 minutes and then blend the stain with a clean cloth.
How-to-Distress-WoodTo give it the worn look that we love so much, I used my Ryobi Corner Cat Sander to distress the wood all over.  This sander is perfect for sanding this piece because of all of the angles.
Once it was dry, I added a few cute and soft blankets!
DIY-Quilt-Ladder
DIY-Wooden-LadderI can’t decide where to put it in my house ;)  I love it everywhere!
Quilt-Rack-DIY
DIY-Wooden-Blanket-LadderI just love getting my home ready for Christmas!  We have so much more to come over the next 11 days!  This is just the beginning!  We always appreciate your pins and shares :)
Remember you can check out the full set of FREE printable plans by clicking HERE!!!  
Thanks so much to Jay of Jay’s Custom Creationsfor putting all of Shanty2Chic’s original ideas into printable plans for our readers!  You guys should check out his site… He has some awesome projects himself!

No comments:

Post a Comment